Saturday, June 13, 2009

Roasted Red Pepper Enchiladas

I've moved my blog over to www.coffeebeansandcurryleaves.com. To visit this post on my new blog click here.


Today's recipe is another quick fix meal that I turn to quite frequently. These enchiladas are really all about the sauce. I give you a suggestion for the filling, but really, you can use just about anything you like. You can make them vegetarian using black beans, vegetables, & cheese or you can use up just about any leftover meat you have (or cook up some ground beef with some corn mixed in). Feel free to be adventurous! But whatever you do, try this sauce!!

The secret?

All you need are these two ingredients...


Just mix these two together (1 quart roasted red pepper soup with 1-4oz can diced green chilis). If you're doing it for a crowd that likes spicy food, go ahead and use two cans per 1 quart soup. Feel free to use any boxed (or leftover homemade) roasted red pepper soup. They add a subtle sweetness that you don't really notice but really makes these fusion enchiladas shine. Trust me.

This is a great enchilada sauce for kids, too (even picky ones like it!). If you use a "mild diced green chilis" can it won't be at all spicy (they just add a nice flavor) but you could use 1/2 a can if you're worried.

So onto the enchilada making!


(Preheat oven to 400 F. ) As I mentioned before, you can really use any filling, but I heated up leftover stir fried shredded cabbage (with just cumin & salt) and 1-12.5oz can "chunk white chicken." Somehow canned chicken just tastes right in enchiladas. Call me weird - just don't knock it 'til you try it (hey this is supposed to be a fast meal, right?) If you have leftover cooked chicken, that would be delicious shredded in the filling.

Now while you're at it, heat up the roasted red pepper soup (microwave or stovetop). Mix in the can of green chilis.


Wasn't that easy? Now you're ready to assemble. Just spoon some filling into a tortilla and roll it up.


Layer a little sauce in a 9x13 pan (I used a smaller square pan because I was making just enough for two). Put in the rolled tortillas side by side (usually 6-8 rolled tortillas fit in a 9x13 pan).


Now start pouring the rest of that delicious sauce over all the tortillas. (Since I did this in a smaller square pan, I just used 1/2 of the sauce, but don't be afraid to drench the tortillas)


Sprinkle over some grated cheese. I used cheddar, but mozzarella, gouda, or queso fresco would be delicious!

Now just bake in the oven for about 10 minutes or until cheese is melted (now do you see why we heated up all the ingredients beforehand?). If you forgot to heat up the ingredients (or didn't feel like it) you can put in the oven at 350 for about 25 minutes or until bubbling & cheese is melted.

Enjoy!

Ingredients

Sauce:
1 quart Roasted Red Pepper Soup
1-4oz can Diced Green Chilis

Filling:
(your choice!)
-or-
2 12-oz cans chicken
3 cups stir fried cabbage w/ cumin & salt

6-8 large tortillas

Topping:
1 cup shredded cheese

Heat up soup & mix with diced green chilis.
Heat up filling. Spoon filling into tortillas. Place filled tortillas in 9x13 baking dish. Pour over soup. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 10 minutes at 400 F or until cheese is melted. Enjoy!



37 comments:

  1. Looks yum! Wish I could get that soup in NZ!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh awesome! i *always* keep this kind of soup and cans of diced chili's on hand. I'll be trying this recipe this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an easy sauce! I have got to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those look really good! I like the use of the roasted red pepper soup.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So easy! I've been afraid to try enchiladas but this recipe is a great place to start - great pics, great directions!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi everyone - thanks for the wonderful comments! I hope you guys enjoy the sauce as much as I do. Let me know how it goes if you try it!

    p.s. Kate - I'll try not to post too many recipes that have "non-international" ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
  8. those look great! i make enchiladas with my mom every christmas (i don't know why, but its a family tradition), but we always use jarred enchilada sauce. i'll have to try this one time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that soup! What a great idea using for your enchiladas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. cooked it. loved it. posted about it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks great! I love enchiladas!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really interesting. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i've passed on a blog award to you, come by and pick it up!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the idea of adding red bell pepper soup. it's so convenient and looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I saw this recipe and couldn't resist because that's my favorite soup. I think I could have eaten the entire pan they were so good! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like a great dish. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. For my sauce I usually use the canned red enchilada sauce but add half a can of refried beans to it as well.. Makes it thicker and it has really nice flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I loved this recipe! I have missed my mother's Mexican cooking, since I moved far away for medical school. I have been trying to find a good Mexican food-fix in a town that only has "Tex-Mex" or what seem like canned versions of Mexican food. Making this for dinner did the trick, and now I don't feel so homesick :) thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I was googling recipes last nite since i've been really bored. I tried making this tonight and it was great!I also used the same soup. thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I made these today, and they were absolutely fantastic! Such an easy, delicious recipe, thanks so much for posting!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. just finished eating my enchiladas- they were delicious! i can't believe how something that simple turned out so good, thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Traditional enchiladas use corn, not flour, tortillas. Corn tortillas have less of a propensity to become soggy or burned. I don't know anyone who uses flour tortillas when making this dish... A lot of this isn't even a mexican way of making this. Maybe reconsider the title? You wouldn't see this in any mexican household.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dont know anyone that has won the lottery but many have. Sometimes change is better. Maybe reconsider the title, or maybe reconsider your prejudices? Have you been in all mexican households? GROW UP SILLY.

      Delete
    2. Why do people feel the need to comment like this? If the recipe doesn't end up appealing to you then move on and keep your rudeness to yourself.

      By the way, the recipe sounds yummy!

      Delete
    3. Nothing wrong with the title "Roasted Red Pepper Enchiladas." It is fusion so if you don't even try it don't comment.

      Delete
    4. Why should the title be reconsidered? It's not titled "Traditional" Enchiladas. It's titled "Roasted Red Pepper Enchiladas", and traditionally, an "enchilada" is anything with "chile" (chili peppers) in it. This not only has green chilis, but red peppers as well. Regardless of that technicality, how rude of you to comment so negatively on someone's creative ideas. Go read a "traditional" cookbook if that's what you're looking for, and stop trolling blogs meant to inspire NEW ideas, not stifle creativity. BTW Sarah I am a first-time visitor to this blog and I love this idea - will be trying!! Keep up the creativity and new ideas :)

      Delete
  23. The whole flour tortilla enchilada phenomenon boggles my mind. Go corn, you won't regret it, I promise. I will definitely try out this soup and green chili sauce option. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  24. made this for dinner and it was amazing! I didn't include cabbage but I did put in black beans. I put the roasted red peppers, some tomatoe soup, and green chiles in a food processor until it turned to a sauce and poured it over the wraps. So good!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have started something of a tradition in my house, "enchilada brunch" for those rare occasions where I actually get to sleep late. I love to make enchiladas and I love the idea of enchiladas (being a cheese eating vegetarian, it's one of those things I CRAVE) but sauce has always been an issue! 99% of people I know DETEST canned sauce! Some of them can be pretty gross. I can already see that this is going to be the answer to my enchilada problem, so thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  26. These are cabbage rolls not enchildas No corn tortilas no onion not cheese YUK

    ReplyDelete
  27. made it tonight, it was so yummy. i added some red chili pepper and cumin to the soup mixture and used Ezekiel tortillas. I also used vegetarian refried beans and cheese as the filling instead of the chicken. It was really good. Thank you for the great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Yummy! This is a really great recipe - I made them two times so far and the second time I made it I added extra red pepper and that made it really good!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I made these last night with a few tweeks and they turned out great!

    I made the sauce as instructed using roasted red pepper and tomato bisque (had to buy two small boxes because they didn't have the quart size) and 1.5 cans (1 hot, 1/2 mild) of the fire roasted La Victoria diced chilis.

    For the filling I used the canned chicken spiced up with Lawry's Seasoning Salt, pepper, cumin, and coriander (the use of this chicken was not without great hesitation..but it was suprisingly amazing! Do try!), 3 cups of cabbage shreds, and I added 4 diced yukon gold potatoes that I roasted in the oven beforehand with olive oil, salt, pepper, parmesan cheese, chili flakes, and parsley. This, in my opinion, put these over the top! It added the perfect texture. Oh and I also poured 1/3 of the sauce on the bottom of the pan before preparing and added jack cheese inside the enchilada and queso fresco and cheddar on top. Not too much cheese is needed, though!

    My boyfriend helped me cook and kept saying "I just don't see how this will turn out..." but of course---once tasted these enchiladas made a believer out of him!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Tried this tonight, added black beans to the chicken and cabbage. Absolutely phenomenal!! I will definitely be sharing this recipe with all my facebook friends :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I just made this and as stuffing I prepared chicken breasts cut bite sized witg onions, cumin, vegetable stock and a dollop of cream cheese! It was goiey and amazing! So glad pintrest brought me here!

    ReplyDelete
  32. P.S.: don't mind the haters!! :)

    ReplyDelete